Alpena Michigan is located on Lake Huron's northwestern coastline at the mouth of the Thunder Bay River. This scenic coastal town has retained much of its architectural tradition from the turn of the century, with many well-preserved houses and buildings - especially in the "old town" section just north of the Thunder Bay River.
Alpena was platted in 1856 by the name of Fremont. After some research by the 'founding fathers' it was discovered that Michigan already boasted a town named Fremont. At the recommendation of Henry R. Schoolcraft, a Michigan Statesman, Fremont was renamed Alpena. The name, Indian for partridge, was chosen because of the many fowl in the area. Alpena Michigan was eventually incorporated in 1871.
Besides tourism, Alpena's economy is supported by cement production, paper processing, and automotive/machine products manufacturing. It's downtown area is a great shopping location, situated conveniently next door to the marina.